Thursday, July 22, 2010

Chanel Le Vernis Nail Colour

Description and photo from www.chanel.com:




**Classic and trend-defining shades from the runways of Paris. State-of-the-art formula strengthens and moisturizes nails as it delivers long-wearing, high-shine, chip-resistant colour. Applies evenly without streaking. **

OK, I love fancy. Like, a lot. Though I'm not technically a "label whore" (I have pants from Target!), I do love a good fancy-labeled item. For example, John and I are in a store, and me picking up a ridiculous looking high heel exclaims, "Oh, look! This is a Jimmy Choo!" and then it suddenly starts to look cute to me. If I were ever to buy a Louis Vuitton bag, I would get one that clearly exclaimed, "Look at me! I'm expensive!" rather than the plain leather one with a small name tag. It's just how I am. I figure, if I'm going to spend the money on it, I want people know I spent money on it. (PS: I don't own a Louis bag, by the way)

When it comes to Chanel, the whole brand intrigues me; the way it began, Karl Lagerfeld, the boucle jacket, the quilted handbag... I think my idea behind buying Chanel nail polish was that it was a way to own something of the brand, without going into debt over it. The first Chanel polish I ever bought was the color "Fire" and is, to this day, the best red-colored fingernail polish I've ever seen. It's got a certain brightness to it, without being overwhelming, and has just the right amount of both orange and pink in it.

I'll tell you this; when you're wearing Chanel fingernail polish, the world seems different. I find myself pointing to thinks, touching things, just basically being ridiculous about it all. The biggest letdown of this manicure situation was when two days into it, my nails looked horrible. The polish was wearing away at the tips of my fingernails and started chipping the next day. Now, I had done my regular base coat, then polish, then another coat of polish, then top coat, just as I always do. Still chipping!

How is it that $23 per bottle nail polish can look horrible after 2-3 days?! This just isn't fair!

I'm a sucker for original colors though, because I somehow have a collection of 10 bottles, even knowing that they are going to wear off quicker than a $3 bottle from CVS. You have to understand though, they were one of the first lines I saw to have a really great metallic gold nail polish! I can NOT say no to gold. It's a flaw, I know. Then came Black Satin, then Inattendu.... and the list goes on.

So while the new colors are great, and yes, you can have Chanel on your fingertips, if you are into staying power (which, who isn't?), then Chanel nail polish isn't the polish for you. I will continue to use mine, hoping to use them up before they get chunky (!), and I'll just know that I'll be doing my nails again before the weekend.

Ugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment